Chris currently serves as president and managing director of the firm. He first joined the firm in 1981. His practice includes representation of businesses and individuals in litigation of a wide variety of matters in state and federal courts, with a significant emphasis on construction litigation. Chris regularly assists clients in resolving commercial disputes through mediation and arbitration. On the business side, Chris represents the interests of those involved in the formation of commercial entities including corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and joint ventures.
Chris often serves as counsel to these entities after formation, providing ongoing advice on legal matters in many areas including, contract formation, employment matters, acquisition and merger, real estate acquisition and sale, and related matters. He regularly represents medical professionals and other professionals before state licensing and regulatory boards.
Chris also has an extensive practice in the area of adoption and family law. As an adoptive parent, Chris has personal experience of the adoption process. He regularly assists families in initiating and finalizing adoptions in order to establish forever homes for children. Chris works closely with adoptive parents and child placement agencies to navigate the adoption process. When issues of contest arise, Chris represents adoptive parents and child placement agencies in resolving these disputes.
Chris regularly provides ongoing legal consultation and advice to a number of charitable organizations devoted to homeless services and services for the disabled.
Chris is a native of Alexandria, Virginia. He lives in Hanover County with his wife. His five grown children all live and work in the Richmond area. Chris enjoys hiking and camping and the outdoors in general. As an ordained permanent deacon in the Catholic Church, Chris devotes his free time in part to service in ministry in the Diocese of Richmond. Chris is currently assigned to serve at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Richmond. Chris is actively involved with business and charitable organizations through the community. He was the 2016 John C. Kenny Pro Bono Award Recipient from the Richmond Bar Association, an award presented annually to an individual or law firm that demonstrates a dedication to furthering the deliver of pro bono legal services to the poor and under-served in the Richmond Metro area.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1979
- College of William and Mary, B.A. History, 1976
- Clerk to Chief Staff Attorney, Clerk to Justice Richard H. Poff, Supreme Court of Virginia, 1979-1981
- 2016 John C. Kenny Pro Bono Award Recipient, Richmond Bar Association
- AV Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships); Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law; Commercial Litigation; Construction Law; Family Law; Litigation – Construction; Litigation – Municipal; Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants; and Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs (Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC), 2013 – 2018
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America© as Richmond Construction Law “Lawyer of the Year”, 2014
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America©as Richmond Litigation – Municipal “Lawyer of the Year”, 2017
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Virginia List, Top 100 in the state, 2012 – 2013, 2015
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Virginia List, Top 50 in Richmond, 2011 – 2015
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Virginia List, Business Litigation category, 2008 – 2017
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Construction Law category, 2015 – 2017
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Civil Litigation category, 2009 – 2014
- Named to Leaders in the Law, Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly, 2008
Past Speaking Engagements
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Bar Association of the City of Richmond
- Served on the Administration of Justice, Continuing Legal Education, Pro Bono, and Public Relations Committees; past member, Board of Directors
- Hanover County Bar Association
- Greater Richmond Bar Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors (2001-present)
- Past President, 2008-2010
- Member, Executive Board, Heart of Virginia Council of the Boy Scouts of America
- Member, Board of Directors, Hanover ARC
- Chairman, Board of Visitors, Saint Gertrude High School, 2014-2016
- Board of Visitors, St. Gertrude High School
- Executive Committee, St. Thomas More Society
- Member, Board of Directors, Chesterfield Alternatives, Inc. and its related entities
- Member of Deacon Council of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond