Billy is a civil litigator and trial attorney. He earned his JD at the University of Richmond School of Law and his undergraduate at Washington & Lee. He is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, named in Virginia Business magazine as one of the Legal Elite in Civil Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution, and named in Super Lawyers magazine in Civil Litigation. He focuses his practice in the following areas:
- Consumer Financial Services;
- Civil Rights and Constitutional Law Claims under 42 U.S.C. §1983;
- Medicaid Fraud;
- DMAS Appeals;
- Business and Commercial litigation and arbitration;
- Creditor’s rights;
- Negligence torts and defamation;
- Insurance Defense;
- Administrative Law; and
- Election Law.
In February of 2014, Billy was appointed Special Counsel to the Opportunity Educational Institution by Governor Terry McAuliffe.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.
- Washington & Lee, Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, Pi Kappa Alpha
Disclaimer: Case results depend upon a variety of factors unique to each case. ThompsonMcMullan cannot guarantee or predict similar results in any future case taken by the attorney.
- mortgage lenders, mortgage servicers, consumer lenders, banks, and other financial services companies in Consumer Protection Act and wrongful foreclosure claims;
- individuals, school boards and corporations in defense of defamation suits;
- individuals, school board and corporations in defense of bodily injury and wrongful death suits;
- school boards, regional jails, and Constitutional Officers in defense of Civil Rights, FLSA, Title VII and ADA claims;
- national pharmacy in malpractice suits;
- engineers, physicians and nurses before licensing boards;
- home health care companies in Medicaid Fraud Appeals (DMAS); and
- assisted living facilities in licensing appeals.
- Holleman v. Colonial Heights Sch. Bd., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23325 (E.D. Va. 2012).
- Bradford v. HSBC Mortgage Corporation, U.S. Dist. LEXIS 143531 (E.D. Va. 2010); 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 80950 (E.D.Va. 2011); U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14158 (E.D. Va. 2011); 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23295 (E.D. Va. 2012).
- Taylor v. Riverside Regional Jail Auth., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 138496 (E.D. Va. 2011).
- Day v. Milam, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 125334; 39 Media L. Rep. 2642 (E.D. Va. 2011).
- Heckenlaible v. Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail, 491 F. Supp. 2d 544 (E.D. Va. 2007).
- Select Mgmt. Resources v. The Runnymede Corp., 273 Va. 710, 643 S.E.2d 177 (2007).
- Baker v. Jim Walter Homes, Inc., 438 F. Supp. 2d 649 (W.D. Va. 2006).
- Don Lane Co. v. Dean, Virginia Court of Appeals UNP 0386042 (2004).
- Niazi v. Commonwealth, Virginia Court of Appeals UNP 2283022 (2004).
- Chesapeake Corp. v. Sainz, 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 28702 (E.D. Va. 2002).
- AV Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Commercial Litigation, and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants (Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC), 2013 – 2017
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Civil Litigation category, 2009 – 2013, 2015 – 2016; Legislative/Administrative/Regulatory category, 2014
- Selected to Super Lawyers Virginia list, Civil Litigation/Defense category, 2007-2014
- Selected to Super Lawyers Virginia list, Business Litigation category, 2015 – 2017
- Super Lawyers Top 50 Richmond, 2012, 2015
- Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2012
- Super Lawyers Top 100, 2012 – 2013, 2015
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2007
On October 22, 2013
What would we do without home health care providers? They keep “grandma” out of the nursing home by providing 24/7 assistance with the activities of daily living. They care . . .
On June 12, 2013
Senate Bill 944 was passed and signed into law by Governor McDonnell on March 20, 2013. This bill has the potential to be quite powerful for home health care providers . . .
On March 27, 2012
Defendants in consumer protection cases filed in Virginia state courts usually have a choice to make about where to defend the case: state or federal court. Most consumer plaintiffs seek . . .
- Virginia State Bar
- The Defense Research Institute
- The Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, member of the Legislative Affairs Committee
- The Richmond Bar Association, member of the Membership Committee, past member of the CLE Committee
- Lewis F. Powell, Jr., American Inn of Court
- Virginia Squash Racquets Association, Board Member
- Richmond Little League, Board of Directors
- Member, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance