Building families through adoption is some of the most important work we do. At ThompsonMcMullan, we enjoy assisting clients with various types of adoption, including:
- Parental placement adoptions (also known as private adoption) which involve a birth parent choosing the adoptive parent(s) directly;
- Agency adoptions which may or may not involve direct contact between the birth parents and adoptive parents. Ultimately, the birth parent enters into an agreement with an adoption agency and the agency places the child with adoptive parents;
- Step-parent adoptions which occur when a parent desires for his or her child to be adopted by his or her spouse;
- Close Relative adoptions which involve adoption by the child’s grandparents, great-grandparents, adult aunts or uncles, adult great-aunts or great-uncles or adult nieces, nephews, or siblings of the adoptee; and
- International adoptions (including re-adoption) which are agency adoptions where the adoptive child is being adopted from a foreign country.
Our attorneys assist clients every step of the way, acknowledging that building your family is an emotional journey that requires sensitive attention, in addition to knowledge of the legalities involved. In the event that the adoption is contested, we are here to help you navigate the procedural steps of contested adoption proceedings. We have long-standing relationships with local adoption agencies and have been assisting in the finalization of adoptions in Richmond and surrounding areas for more than 30 years.