Commercial Real Estate and Land Use
This practice area of ThompsonMcMullan ranges from providing legal assistance to our clients in transactions involving the acquisition, development, financing, and operation of multi-use projects such as large shopping centers, factory sites, large office buildings, and other commercial projects to providing advice and assistance in transactions involving the purchase, sale, leasing, and financing of single use commercial parcels and condominiums.
Our experience in this practice area includes:
- Real estate purchases, sales, and leasing;
- Real estate development;
- Real estate loans;
- Foreclosures and workout; and
- Land use and zoning.
- Assist our clients in structuring their real estate development, financing, sales, purchases, ground leases, and easements;
- Engage in appeals of excessive real estate tax assessments;
- Guide and assist with all aspects of entity selection and creation for the necessary entity or entities to hold or develop real estate, such as the formation of joint ventures, corporations, general and limited partnerships, and limited liability partnerships and companies;
- Represent landowners and public entities in eminent domain proceedings;
- Regularly advise clients on issues pertaining to construction, including construction lending;
- Assist clients with troubled, partially completed projects and with regard to projects that have suffered extensive damage;
- Help foreign-based investors in the purchase, development, operation, and sale of United States located real estate, along with the necessary U.S. reporting requirements imposed on non-United States citizens; and
- Provide advice and assistance on land use issues that arise, such as rezoning, special use permitting, special exceptions, zoning variances, and obtaining the necessary permits and approvals for real estate development.