Buckley likes solving problems. Sometimes, those problems involve negotiations and leverage. Other times, disputes just have to be tried in front of a judge or jury. Calling on a decade of in-the-trenches litigation experience, Buckley’s advocacy skills and client goal focus have won him clients’ confidence in bet-the-company litigation. He has served as first-chair counsel in complex matters with parallel litigation on both coasts over millions of dollars and on matters with a few thousand dollars at stake. The challenge of achieving the client’s goal efficiently is the same in either type of case. That challenge gets Buckley out of bed in the morning.
When trial is unavoidable, Buckley is truly at home in a courtroom—which is an advantage in a world where everyone is afraid of trials. No business or individual wants to be in trial. Before trial, Buckley focuses on gathering information and convincing the other side it will face overwhelming odds and expense in continued litigation, so it had better resolve the matter quickly. However, if trial is required, Buckley has the experience to make the process efficient and effective. Buckley has tried cases as first chair in front of juries and judges since his first year in practice, in state and federal courts.
In peacetime, Buckley also advises clients on their business operations by helping draft contracts, develop processes, and make deals that balance risk and reward. He has won clients’ favor for his skill in breaking down technical aspects of the law into advice that is clear and directly related to the client’s goals. He has handled matters involving commercial agreements, corporate lending, acquisitions, fraud, insurance, construction, bankruptcy, defamation, and restrictive covenants.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 2008
- Articles Editor of the Richmond Law Review
- Order of the Barristers
- Moot Court Board
- Trial Advocacy Board
- Law School Admissions Committee.
- Furman University, B.A., Political Science and Philosophy, magna cum laude, 2005
- Law clerk to The Honorable G. Edward Welmaker, Retired Resident Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit of South Carolina
- International Law Office and Lexology 2018 Client Choice Awards, Virginia Litigation Attorney, exclusive winner.
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Young Lawyer, 2014; Civil Litigation category, 2017
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Stars List, Civil Litigation category, 2013 – 2018
- Virginia State Bar
- South Carolina State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Richmond Bar Association
- John Marshall Inn of Court
- University of Richmond School of Law Trial Advocacy Board, Volunteer Judge