Buckley is a litigator and business advisor who delivers practical strategies and solutions for clients. Calling on a decade of in-the-trenches experience in and out of court, Buckley’s advocacy skills and disciplined drive have won him clients’ confidence in bet-the-company litigation. He has served as first-chair counsel in complex matters involving lawsuits filed in different jurisdictions, where the result of one ruling impacted strategy in related cases. Negotiating and solving problems get him out of bed in the morning.
In addition to advocating for clients, Buckley values his ties to the local legal community. He has previously served on the Executive Committee of the John Marshall American Inn of Court, which includes both attorneys and judges as members.
Buckley also advises clients who want to expand their business operations by helping draft contracts and make deals that balance risk and reward. He has won clients’ favor for his skill in breaking down technical aspects of the law into advice that is clear and directly related to how the client does business. He has handled matters involving commercial agreements, corporate lending, acquisitions, fraud, insurance, construction, bankruptcy, defamation, and restrictive covenants.
Buckley practiced with DurretteCrump in Richmond for over eight years before joining ThompsonMcMullan in 2018.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D.,
- Magna Cum Laude, 2008
- Articles Editor of the Richmond Law Review
- Order of the Barristers
- Moot Court Board
- Trial Advocacy Board
- Law School Admissions Committee.
- Furman University, B.A., Political Science and Philosophy
- Magna Cum Laude, 2005
- Law clerk to The Honorable G. Edward Welmaker, Retired Resident Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit of South Carolina
- International Law Office and Lexology 2018 Client Choice Awards, Virginia Litigation Attorney, exclusive winner.
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Young Lawyer, 2014; Civil Litigation category, 2017
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Stars List, Civil Litigation category, 2013 – 2018
- Virginia State Bar
- South Carolina State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Richmond Bar Association
- John Marshall Inn of Court
- University of Richmond School of Law Trial Advocacy Board, Volunteer Judge