Lucy joined ThompsonMcMullan after seven years as the Assistant District Counsel to the United States Small Business Administration’s Richmond District Office (SBA).
Lucy’s practice is concentrated in commercial lending, particularly government guaranteed lending. She has extensive experience working in SBA offices across the country and was selected for assignments as the Acting District Counsel in the Atlanta, Seattle, and Richmond Districts. She has also served on assignment as counsel for the SBA National Guaranty Purchase Center and the SBA Headquarters in Washington, DC. She represents Certified Development Companies in their U.S. Small Business Administration 504 loans to small business borrowers, as well as representing commercial lenders in their U.S. Small Business Administration loans to small business borrowers.
Lucy is licensed to practice in Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia.
Originally from White Bear Lake, Minnesota, Lucy enjoys spending time with her family, including her two dogs, and riding horses.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Randolph Macon Woman’s College, Bachelor of Arts, 1993
- Stoneleigh Burnham School, 1989
- Member, NADCO Attorney Advisory Council
- Designated Counsel under the U. S. Small Business Administration 504 Loan Program (2006 to Present)
- Co-taught the 2014 NADCO (National Association of Development Companies) 504 Loan Closing Update Course Webinar which all U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Designated Counsel need to take to maintain their Designated Counsel status with SBA
- Admitted to practice in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District (1996)
- Admitted to practice in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District (1997)
- First Time Practitioner’s Guide to Liens and Judgments in Title Policies (Fee Simple Magazine, Virginia Bar Real Estate Practice Section Publication, Spring 2004)
- Determining What Law Controls as to the Attachment, Perfection, Effect of Perfection or Nonperfection, and Priority of Personal Property When Used for Collateral in a Loan (Co-written with C. Grice McMullan) (Fee Simple Magazine, Virginia Bar Real Estate Practice Section Publication Fall 2004)
- “The Top Ten Reasons for the Repair or Denial of the SBA Guarantee” (NAGGL newsletter, January 2006)
- Documentation Requirements for 7(a) Loans Made Under The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (the “Recovery Act”) (Co-written with Graciela Gatell, Counsel for the U.S. Small Business Administration Guaranty Purchase Center; NAGGL newsletter, February 2010)
- “SBA Procedure for Reimbursement of Lender Legal Fees on 7(a) Loans” (NAGGL newsletter, June 2006)
- “Early Defaults, Early Loan Problems Impact SBA Guarantee Purchase Procedures” (NAGGL newsletter, December 2006)
- Virginia State Bar
- Maryland State Bar
- West Virginia State Bar
- Richmond Women’s Bar Association – Committee Chair, Awards
- Former Area Representative for the Real Property Section of the Virginia State Bar
- Region III representation for the National Association for Government Guaranteed Lenders (NAGGL)
- Member of the National Association of Development Companies (NADCO)
- Central Virginia Legal Aid, Volunteer, 2002-2012
- Richmond SPCA, Associate Board, 2006 -2007