Helping clients get to ‘Yes’
Matt Anderson recalls a law school professor who explained why people don’t like lawyers: Because they’re always the ones who say “No.”
“So my approach ever since has been to get my clients to ‘Yes,’” says Matt. “Maybe where we end up is not exactly what you had in mind, but it’s an approach designed to help every client achieve their goals.”
Matt joined ThompsonMcMullan in 2019, deepening the firm’s bench in labor and employment matters. He stays on the cutting edge of the complex hodgepodge of state and federal rules and regulations related to hiring, retaining, and firing. In particular, he has years of experience advising companies and nonprofits in matters related to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and issues surrounding discrimination and regulatory compliance. He represents small and mid-size companies and nonprofits, and has worked with one of the nation’s largest financial institutions.
Matt also defends consumer-finance companies in federal court in regard to both the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) claims, and offers government-compliance advisory services to a range of companies.
Matt was born and raised in Richmond. A college competitive swimmer – and still a recreational one – Matt is an avid fitness and outdoors enthusiast.
Civil Litigation, Bankruptcy, and Administrative Law
Employment Counseling and Litigation
- Litigation employment issues on behalf of employers in state and federal courts, including claims based on Title VII, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and restrictive covenants
- General employment counseling, including handbook/policy reviews, employee investigations, negotiating and drafting employment contracts, and state/federal law compliance advice
- Advising employee benefits insurers in defending ERISA claims in federal court
- Representing companies in labor arbitrations
- Revising handbooks for a variety of employers, from small nonprofits to multi-state enterprises
- Defending debt collectors in FDCPA and TCPA suits in federal courts nationwide
- Assisting nationwide financial company compile procedures for compliance with the laws of all 50 states.
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© “Ones to Watch,” in the field of Commercial Litigation, Labor and Employment Law – Management, and Litigation – Labor and Employment (2021-2022)
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Stars List, Employment and Labor category (2021)
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Walter Scott McNeill Honor Society, Phi Delta Phi, 2013
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., cum laude, 2009
- All Virginia Courts including the Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Sports Backers President’s Council
- Sports Backers Governance Committee
- Virginia State Bar