Helping clients get to ‘Yes’
Matt Anderson recalls a law school professor who explained why people don’t like lawyers: Because they’re always the ones who say “No.”
“So my approach ever since has been to get my clients to ‘Yes,’” says Matt. “Maybe where we end up is not exactly what you had in mind, but it’s an approach designed to help every client achieve their goals.”
Matt joined ThompsonMcMullan in 2019, deepening the firm’s bench in labor and employment matters. He stays on the cutting edge of the complex hodgepodge of state and federal rules and regulations related to hiring, retaining, and firing. In particular, he has years of experience advising companies and nonprofits in matters related to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and issues surrounding discrimination and regulatory compliance. He represents small and mid-size companies and nonprofits, and has worked with one of the nation’s largest financial institutions.
Matt also defends consumer-finance companies in federal court in regard to both the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) claims, and offers government-compliance advisory services to a range of companies.
Matt was born and raised in Richmond. A college competitive swimmer – and still a recreational one – Matt is an avid fitness and outdoors enthusiast.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Walter Scott McNeill Honor Society, Phi Delta Phi, 2013
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., cum laude, 2009
- General employment counseling in matters such as employee handbook reviews, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), FLSA, Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act, and non-competition covenants
- Advising employee benefits insurers in defending ERISA claims in federal court
- Representing companies in labor arbitrations
- Revising handbooks for a variety of employers, from small nonprofits to multistate enterprises
- Defending debt collectors in FDCPA and TCPA suits in federal courts nationwide
- Assisting nationwide financial company compile procedures for compliance with the laws of all 50 states.
- Sports Backers President’s Council
- Sports Backers Governance Committee
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Virginia State Courts