After spending most of his career as an in-house corporate lawyer, Bob Warwick came to ThompsonMcMullan at the start of the 21st century. Bob’s private practice has focused on federal and – increasingly – state and local tax issues, including generating and implementing strategies to realize available tax benefits and eliminate or minimize adverse tax consequences.
At ThompsonMcMullan and in his prior incarnations, Bob provided tax counsel to individuals and businesses over a broad spectrum of areas including:
- Structuring of business enterprises;
- Finance and issuance of debt securities;
- Capital investment;
- Product pricing and commercial transactions;
- Foreign dividend planning;
- Real estate;
- Licensing and use of intangibles;
- Charitable contributions and private foundations; and
- Employee benefits matters, with a view toward generating favorable tax consequences and minimizing unfavorable tax consequences.
Bob has also represented clients in cases of disputed income, sales and use and other taxes.
Bob officially retired at the end of 2014 but regularly consults with the firm, providing tax advice and counsel to our attorneys and clients.
Bob currently serves on the board of the Community Tax Law Project, which provides tax assistance and legal representation to low income individuals. He previously served as a Director, Chairman and Treasurer of Goochland CASA, which administers the court appointed special advocate program in Goochland County and as a Director and Treasurer of the Friends of the Goochland Branch Library. Bob also spent several years driving an ambulance for his local volunteer fire-rescue company.
- Cornell Law School, with distinction, Board of Editors, J.D., Cornell Law Review, Order of the Coif
- Cornell, MBA
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Virginia State Bar
- Richmond Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section
- Partners for Human Advocacy and Services Enrichment, Inc. – an organization administering the court appointed special advocate (CASA) program in Goochland County
- Board member, Community Tax Law Project, an organization providing pro bono assistance to low income taxpayers