Chip Temple represents employers and management in all areas of employment law.
He has tried a wide variety of cases to verdict, and has briefed and argued successfully several cases of first impression before the United States Court of Appeals, the United States District Court and the National Labor Relations Board. Chip also regularly practices before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, and various state agencies and self-regulatory organizations.
In addition to trial and administrative representation, Chip provides ongoing counseling to employers on the full spectrum of workplace practices and policies.
He has authored many articles and essays on workplace law, and provides commentary for television, radio and print media. He also frequently lectures on these topics at legal and management seminars, judicial conferences, and at local universities.
He also served as the 126th President of the Bar Association of the City of Richmond.
Chip regularly advises clients and handles cases related to:
- Equal Opportunity Charges and Trials
- Non-Competition Contracts and Restrictive Covenants
- Unfair Labor Practice Investigations and Trials
- Union Organizing Campaigns
- Department of Labor Charges and Audits
- Preparation of Personnel Policies
- Discipline and Discharge Counseling
- Substance Abuse Screening
- Whistleblower Complaints
- OSHA and VOSH Investigations
Chip practiced law with DurretteCrump and its predecessors for 30 years before joining ThompsonMcMullan in 2018.
- Law Clerk, Supreme Court of Virginia, 1987-1988
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1987
- University of Richmond Law Review
- National Moot Court Team
- Moot Court Board
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., cum laude, 1984
- Pratt v. NPMHU, 2002 U.S. App. LEXIS 473, 171 L.R.R.M. 2064 (4th Cir. 2001), cert. denied, 537 U.S. 826 (2002).
- Herman v. Local 305, NPMHU, 44 F. Supp. 2d 771 (E.D. Va. 1999), rev’d, 214 F.3d 475 (4th Cir. 2000).
- Fobian v. Storage Technology Corp., 959 F. Supp. 742 (E.D. Va. 1997), remanded, 164 F.3d 887 (4th Cir. 1999), aff’d, 217 F.3d 838 (4th Cir. 2000).
- Green v. Storage Technology Corp., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 20564 (E.D. Va. 1997).
- Shore v. A.W. Hargrove Ins. Agency, Inc., 873 F. Supp. 992 (E.D. Va. 1995).
- Lawler v. Schumacher Filters Am., Inc., 832 F. Supp. 1044 (E.D. Va. 1993).
- Khandelwal v. CompuAdd Corp., 780 F. Supp. 1077 (E.D. Va. 1992)
- Hill v. Quantum Resources Corp., 940 F.2d 652, 1991 U.S. App. LEXIS 23457 (4th Cir. 1991).
- Local 305 v. NLRB, 925 F.2d 1457 (4th Cir. 1991), rev’g, sub. nom, National Post Office Mail Handlers and As Salaam, 298 N.L.R.B. 473 (1989).
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Labor and Employment, 2010 – 2019, Lawyer of the Year, Employment Law – Management and Labor Law – Management, 2018, Lawyer of the Year, Employment Law – Management, 2019
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Labor and Employment, 2004 – 2005; 2007 – 2017
- Selected to Super Lawyers Virginia List, Labor and Employment category, 2006 – 2018; Top 100 in the state
- Virginia State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Virginia Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Section
- Richmond Bar Association
- President, 2010-2011
- Board of Directors, 2003-2012
- Society for Human Resources Management
- Richmond Society for Human Resources Management
- Hanover Education Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2012 to present
- American Heart Association, Mid-Atlantic Affiliate (Md., D.C., Va., N.C., S.C.)
- General Counsel (Volunteer) 1997-2011
- Member, Board of Directors, 1999-2011
- West Richmond Rotary Club, 1999 to present
- President, 2009-2010
- Member, Board of Directors 2004-2011
- Junior Achievement Volunteer Instructor