Loyal veteran. Retired law enforcement officer. Trusted business and civil attorney.
Every business requires a trusted attorney watching out for its best interests. Consider, then, the unique background of T. Duggan O’Dea: U.S Coast Guard veteran, deputy sheriff, ABC special agent, master police officer.
And today, backed by a decade in military and criminal law enforcement, Duggan has established a successful legal practice as a corporate attorney and business law counselor.
“I enjoyed the hunt of law enforcement. I loved catching bad guys and didn’t mind getting into a scrap,” Duggan says. “But I’m not really a litigious person. I’m not adversarial. I was done getting into fights. Moving into a more transactional line of work where I could help people get deals done and make people happy was the way I wanted to build my future.”
Duggan joined ThompsonMcMullan after practicing corporate law with an emphasis on structured finance and securitization at a top “AMLAW 200” international firm. Today, his practice focuses on corporate governance and general business counsel, including real-estate matters and corporate-finance transactions. He assists companies throughout the full lifecycle of operations from formation to new acquisitions and dissolution or sale, and everything in between, including employment-related issues.
He enjoys helping businesses find their way through complicated legal and regulatory schemes to achieve their goals. Duggan is viewed by his clients as a dealmaker, and someone who understands the value of attention to detail, responsiveness to clients, and the importance of thorough drafting when it comes to corporate governance documents.
As a Richmond native, Duggan is also familiar with the Central Virginia market, its businesses and support resources, and can often connect his clients to partners to help grow their companies.
Duggan is a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom and, in addition to his military service, is a retired law enforcement officer, serving as a deputy sheriff, Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (ABC) special agent, and a master police officer. His law-enforcement experience offers a unique insight and understanding to our constitutional law and civil rights teams. Similarly, his experience as a special agent is invaluable to our hospitality clients facing ABC-related issues or questions. Duggan also has significant experience representing veterans before various administrative boards regarding veterans’ benefits and discharge upgrades.
He and his family live in Richmond, where he enjoys home improvement projects, the outdoors, cooking, and traveling.
Business Transactions, Corporate and Real Estate
- Providing business counsel to new businesses
- Serving as outside general counsel for closely held businesses
- Serving as both purchaser’s and seller’s counsel on a number of acquisitions in the healthcare, technology, hospitality and commercial real estate fields
- Advising clients on sales of closely held businesses
- Providing guidance to borrowers and lenders with respect to the financing of residential mortgage loans, servicing rights, and residential and commercial mortgage-backed securities.
- Assisting financial institutions with respect to warehouse and repurchase agreements.
- Representing servicers and lenders in connection with servicing portfolio acquisitions and the structuring of related servicer advance financing facilities
- J.D., University of Richmond School of Law, magna cum laude, 2017
- CALI Awards for Excellence in Law Skills II and Criminal Procedure
- Dean’s Highest Grade Award in Workers’ Compensation Law
- Richmond Bar Association Young Lawyers Scholarship Recipient
- Carrico Center Pro Bono Certificate
- Bloomberg Award for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law
- Member, McNeill Law Society
- Associate Manuscripts Editor for the Journal of Global Law and Business
- B.A., The College of William and Mary, 2009
- All Virginia courts including the Supreme Court of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
- Member, Coast Guard Combat Veterans Association
- Member, Coast Guard Tactical Law Enforcement Association (CGTLEA)
- Fork Union Military Academy Alumni Association