Duggan’s practice focuses on corporate governance and general business counsel, including real estate matters and corporate finance transactions. He enjoys working with businesses and is able to assist each company throughout the full lifecycle of its operations from formation to dissolution or sale, and everything in between, including employment-related issues.
Duggan also has significant experience representing veterans before various administrative boards regarding veterans’ benefits and discharge upgrades. Duggan is a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom and, in addition to his military service, is a retired law enforcement officer, having served as a deputy sheriff, special agent for the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (ABC), and master police officer. His experience as a law enforcement officer offers a unique insight and understanding to our constitutional law and civil rights teams. Similarly, his experience as a Special Agent is invaluable to the clients of our hospitality team facing any ABC-related issues or questions.
Duggan is an alumnus of The College of William and Mary, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy. He then attended the University of Richmond School of Law, graduating magna cum laude and receiving the Bloomberg Award for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law. Duggan joined ThompsomMcMullan after practicing on a structured finance and securitization team at an AMLAW 200 firm. Duggan and his family live in Richmond. He enjoys home improvement projects, the outdoors, cooking and traveling.
- J.D., University of Richmond School of Law, magna cum laude, 2017
- CALI Awards for Excellence in Law Skills II and Criminal Procedure
- Dean’s Highest Grade Award in Workers’ Compensation Law
- Richmond Bar Association Young Lawyers Scholarship Recipient
- Carrico Center Pro Bono Certificate
- Bloomberg Award for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law
- Member, McNeill Law Society
- Associate Manuscripts Editor for the Journal of Global Law and Business
- B.A., The College of William and Mary, 2009
- Virginia State Bar
- Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
- Member, Coast Guard Combat Veterans Association
- Member, Coast Guard Tactical Law Enforcement Association (CGTLEA)
- Fork Union Military Academy Alumni Association
On June 11, 2019
Duggan recently wrote an article for the Virginia Bar Association’s Young Lawyer Division Spring 2019 newsletter. The article begins:
Members of, or partners in, a business entity classified as . . .