ThompsonMcMullan, P.C. is seeking an experienced Trust and Estate Paralegal/Legal Assistant to join our Richmond, VA office.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, respect for discretion and confidentiality, ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet tight deadlines. Must demonstrate a positive representation of the firm’s commitment to client service and must demonstrate the desire to be an essential part of a busy practice as a team player. Candidate should be detail-oriented and organized, have a positive attitude, and a good work ethic. Strong verbal and accurate written communication skills are essential for this position. Candidate must have a college degree and/or paralegal certificate and references. This position deals with a high volume of work.
Job Qualifications (Tax):
- 3-5 years of related work experience in a professional services firm
- College degree or paralegal certificate preferred
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
Job Tasks (Tax):
- Work in conjunction with Elder law team regarding administration of conservatorships and trusts, including reconciliation of monthly account statements, preparation of distributions to beneficiaries, preparation of checks for invoices, maintaining Accounting and asset records
- Evaluate and close conservatorship files
- Evaluate income and prepare annual federal and state individual and fiduciary income tax returns
- Prepare employer tax returns
- Assist in the preparation of estate and gift tax returns
- Administration of decedents’ estates, including the preparation of fiduciary inventories and accountings to be filed with Commissioner of Accounts and other required probate filings
- Preparation of beneficiary receipts, releases, and indemnification agreements
- Communicate directly with the Commissioner of Accounts, Conservators, Trustees, Executors/Administrators, beneficiaries, Attorneys, Accountants, and other advisors
- Meet and communicate directly with clients on conservatorship, trust, and estate administration matters
- Assist with drafting standard estate planning documents and other legal documents (power of attorney, wills, court petitions, resignations, etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to flex as required to meet the need of the hour
- Lift up to 25 pounds
Job Qualifications (Accounting):
- 0-1 years of basic Accounting knowledge
Job Tasks (Accounting):
- Reconciling assigned GL accounts
- Intake, coding, and scanning of AP invoices to prepare for payment
- Reviewing Credit Card statement, collecting appropriate supporting receipts/documentation, and coding expenses
- Training on Billing for back-up purposes
- Posting payments as back-up during Billing
Salary starts at $50,000/year for entry level candidates. Competitive salary is commensurate based on experience with annual federal and state individual and fiduciary income tax returns and Commissioner of Accounts accounting. Generous benefits provided.
We offer our employees competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package, along with a collegial work environment. Benefits include health (employee premium paid by firm), dental and vision, life and disability insurance, long-term care, paid parking, and a 401K plan.
ThompsonMcMullan provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, citizenship, veteran or military status, marital or domestic partner status, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
ThompsonMcMullan, P.C. is a law firm committed to excellence in serving business, governmental, and individual clients in business transactions, corporate and real estate, employment counseling and litigation, civil litigation, bankruptcy, administrative law, elder law, estate planning, and family formation. Our core values focus on dignity, community, honor, civility, teamwork, and passion expressed in a balanced life.
In addition, ThompsonMcMullan has been recognized by the Richmond Times Dispatch, in partnership with Energage, as a Top Workplace for three years running, thanks to positive feedback and shared experience from our employees.
Compliant with COVID-19 CDC guidelines, as well as the VA Department of Health.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply by submitting your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.
To learn more about our company, please visit our website: www.t-mlaw.com
EOE M/F/D/V on behalf of our client, we reserve the right to alter, change, modify and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.