Hugh leads the firm’s Fiduciary and Chancery Litigation practice. He has experience with the abuse of powers of attorney, will contests, partition of jointly held real estate, reformation of trust agreements, substitution or removal of executors/trustees, distributions of property under UCTA/UTMA, contested and non-contested guardianships and conservatorships of incapacitated persons, resolving estate and trust administration issues, and compelling accountings from agents acting under power of attorney.
Between September of 1994 and May of 1995, Hugh was appointed Acting Commissioner of Accounts for Henrico County Circuit Court at the direction of Court. He also served as interim Commissioner of Accounts in Chesterfield County from March 2007 through September 2007. In this capacity, Hugh was responsible for reviewing the conduct of personal representatives, who by statute were required to file inventories and accountings of assets under their control.
Hugh also heads the firm’s Trusts and Estates practice. He focuses primarily on preparing testamentary documents, serving as the fiduciary for selected clients, assists in the administration of trusts and estates and litigates matters regarding the enforceability and interpretation of wills and trust documents prepared by others.
Hugh is a native of Richmond, Virginia. He has been a principal since 1981 and has been associated with ThompsonMcMullan since 1976.
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1975
- Member of the Law Review
- University of Virginia, B.A. English, 1971
- Member of the Thirteen Society
- Member of T.I.L.K.A.
- Member of the IMP Society
- AV Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Elder Law and Litigation – Trusts and Estates (Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC), 2012 – 2020
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Taxes/Estates/Trusts/Elder Law category, 2011 – 2017
- Selected to the 2013 – 2019 Super Lawyers Virginia List, Estate and Probate category
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
Past Speaking Engagements