At ThompsonMcMullan, we recognize that our success begins and ends with our people – our attorneys, our staff, and our clients. We are committed to fostering and supporting diversity and inclusion both inside and outside of our firm.
Diversity means that we recognize the differences in each of us, whether based on race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, veteran status, age, disability, gender identity or expression, religion, sexual orientation, or LGBTQ status. Inclusion means that we respect, value, and support these differences in a manner that allows each individual to contribute in a meaningful way to our firm and our community.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to bring different perspectives to the table, making us better able to serve our clients and our community. With different perspectives, we can support our clients by being able to relate to their situation. We can think creatively and solve problems “outside the box.”
We recognize that our diversity and inclusion efforts are never complete. Some of our continuing efforts to support diversity and inclusion include:
- Maintaining a Diversity and Inclusion Committee. The Committee seeks to ensure that our firm maintains an atmosphere of acceptance, inclusion, and mutual respect, and provides a forum for everyone at ThompsonMcMullan to address a wide range of diversity and inclusion matters.
- Our firm is committed to mentoring its attorneys and paralegals by providing training, feedback, and a sounding board for questions about firm life and professional growth, all of which facilitate career development in an open and collaborative setting.
- Women of ThompsonMcMullan Committee. This Committee provides our firm’s female attorneys with support and mentoring to further their success, increase their visibility within the firm, encourage their involvement in community initiatives, and foster business development opportunities.
- Bar Association Activities. To promote the advancement of diversity and inclusion initiatives in the legal community, our attorneys and paralegals are encouraged to become involved with minority bar associations, to engage in diversity and inclusion initiatives of the Virginia State Bar and the Virginia Bar Association, and to volunteer to speak on panels addressing gender and diversity in the legal profession.
- Pro Bono Activities and Financial Support. Our attorneys engage in pro bono opportunities that support diverse populations in our community. In addition, as a firm, we support – and encourage our attorneys and staff to support – diverse organizations through financial contributions.