For the first time in Virginia’s history, litigants in circuit courts now have an appeal of right to the Court of Appeals of Virginia. As a result, there likely will be a sharp increase in appeals from undesirable trial outcomes. Therefore, litigation attorneys should embrace this opportunity and be ready to write appellate briefs to preserve their clients’ rights.
In this one-hour seminar hosted by Virginia CLE, appellate attorney John O’Herron, alongside Erin DeBoer of Anchor Legal Group, PLLC, will discuss the mechanics of researching, writing, and editing effective appellate briefs.
Topics to be covered:
- Review strategies for legal research
- Understand how standards of review relate to appellate briefs
- Receive tips on how to organize appellate briefs and use argumentative headings to strengthen your position
- Avoid common pitfalls that attorneys make in appellate briefs
- Get tips on how to review and edit appellate briefs