Henry has over 20 years of civil litigation experience, focusing primarily on insurance defense, construction and employment law.
Henry is a seasoned litigator with both state and federal court experience. In his insurance defense practice, he represents insurance companies, policy holders and businesses in general liability claims. These claims encompass a wide range of issues, including first and third party claims, personal injury, premises liability, product liability, workers’ compensation, wrongful death and defamation cases. Henry also represents insurance companies involving fraud and coverage issues. Many of his clients look to him to advise on whether a particular claim should be paid or denied.
Within his construction practice, Henry regularly represents general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and homeowners in many complex and diverse issues. He regularly assists his clients by identifying issues early in proceedings, assessing the strengths and weaknesses in their positions, and advocating for early resolution whenever possible.
Henry’s employment practice stems from years of representing employers. As with all of Henry’s practice, he focuses first on helping clients come into compliance with existing laws, leading to early resolution of claims. His experience includes Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) issues, Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, discrimination (sex, race, and ethnicity), wrongful termination, retaliatory discharge, defamation, and assault and battery. Henry has particular and deep experience in defending ADA claims regarding architectural barriers. He regularly appears in both state and federal courts and before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- University of Richmond, J.D., 1992
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 1988
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Construction Law category, 2009 – 2013
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Civil Law category, 2014
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Alternative Dispute Resolution, 2015 – 2017
Henry regularly speaks on topics such as mechanics’ liens, green building issues, and defending Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation complaints.
Past Speaking Engagements
- Associated General Contractors of Virginia, Inc.
- The Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Richmond Bar Association
- Construction Financial Management Association
- Council on Litigation Management
- Defense Research Institute
- General Counsel for the Home Building Association of Richmond, 2010-present
- Personnel Board, City of Richmond
- Richmond Area Municipal Contractors
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys (Past Chairman, Employment Section)
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar