Prepared. Responsive. Reliable.
Nearly three decades of experience as an attorney has given Henry Spalding a firm understanding of what it takes to succeed: Preparation and organization.
“I will always be the most prepared lawyer in the room. A busy litigation practice like mine requires strong organizational and time management skills,” he says. “I am lucky to have excellent support staff to keep me on track.”
Henry represents businesses across a variety of industries and is a proven litigator with both Virginia and federal court experience. He is a particularly trusted go-to for insurance clients and their policyholders, and is regarded as one of Virginia’s foremost experts in insurance law. He helps businesses and carriers understand their rights, and, if necessary, defend their rights in insurance coverage litigation. He defends clients in both first- and third-party claims related to, among other things, commercial general liability, professional liability, commercial automobile policies, homeowner’s and life insurance policies, and umbrella policies.
In his construction litigation practice, Henry represents general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and homeowners in complex and diverse issues. He has successfully litigated many matters and achieved favorable results for clients, including at trial in both state and federal courts throughout Virginia.
“I appreciate the complexity of construction law and the problem-solving approaches I take in litigation,” Henry says.
A graduate of the University of Richmond’s School of Law, Henry regularly speaks on topics such as mechanics’ liens, green building issues, and Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) complaints.
Civil Litigation, Bankruptcy, and Administrative Law
- Awarded summary judgment in two cases in which represented Wawa, Inc.: Lopez v. Wawa, Inc. and Carter v. Wawa, Inc.
- Successfully tried to conclusion insurance coverage cases for Erie Insurance: Prakash v. Erie Insurance and Erie Insurance v. Preston.
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Insurance Law (2021)
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite,” Construction Law category (2009 – 2013)
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite,” Civil Law category, (2014)
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite,” Alternative Dispute Resolution (2015 – 2019)
- University of Richmond, J.D., 1992
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 1988
- All Virginia courts including the Supreme Court of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar
- Associated General Contractors of Virginia, Inc.
- The Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Richmond Bar Association
- Construction Financial Management Association
- Council on Litigation Management
- Defense Research Institute
- General Counsel for the Home Building Association of Richmond, 2010-present
- Personnel Board, City of Richmond
- Richmond Area Municipal Contractors
- Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys (Past Chairman, Employment Section)
- Virginia Bar Association