“Solve the problem.”
They are the three words we hear most from our construction clients – the men and women who build things, and the attorneys who represent them. This single directive is one we take seriously in our defense of owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in sensitive legal matters for both public and private properties.
Our construction practice is led by a team of local, Richmond-based construction litigation attorneys who spend time on construction sites, know the builder’s language, and understand how important the critical path method (CPM) is to every project. That goes for whether we are representing entities involved in constructing a single-family neighborhood, a medical building, a government office, or a downtown skyscraper. Equipped to handle contractor disputes, we defend contractors of all sizes and negotiate with multiple parties when disputes and finger-pointing arise.
All construction projects are prone to delays and unforeseen issues, which can lead to legal consequences. Our goal is to keep construction disputes out of courtrooms, but in the rare event a dispute goes to trial, we have the expertise necessary to provide turn-key support.
Our construction attorneys partner with our in-house team of commercial real estate, financial service, insurance, and government attorneys, enabling us to take a 360-degree view of each issue, then craft effective strategies to increase the chances of obtaining favorable results.
Richmond Construction Attorneys
ThompsonMcMullan is affiliated with the Association of General Contractors of Virginia, the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, the Construction Financial Management Association, Richmond Homebuilders Association, and the Richmond Area Municipal Contractors Association.
Our Construction Litigation practice includes:
- Representing clients in the construction of single family and multi-family housing, hotels, industrial facilities, commercial projects, utilities, municipal water projects, roads, and bridges
- Representing the fire sprinkler industry in design-build, inspection, service, and monitoring disputes
- Representing construction companies in legal matters related to breach of contract disputes, defects and delays, construction liens, bond claims, job abandonment, and workmanship
- Filing and enforcing mechanics’ liens, and defending such claims
- Drafting and negotiating terms of construction contracts
- Representing contractors and homebuilders before the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) boards for contractors with respect to licensing issues
- Serving as general counsel for the Homebuilding Association of Richmond (HBAR)
- Representing general contractors in defense of construction defect claims
- Representing clients in various parts of the country in bridge-related and large-structure construction litigation
- Representing contractors in disputes with the Virginia Department of Transportation regarding contract claims
- Representing clients in bid protest proceedings
- Prosecuting Miller Act and Little Miller Act claims on behalf of contractors and suppliers in state and federal courts
Interested in learning more about the services our construction litigation team can offer? Schedule a consultation to discuss your case with one of our attorneys.