A constant of institutional knowledge in a constantly changing legal environment
Stick around our offices long enough, and Bev Crump’s is a name you’ll hear often. Maybe it’s because of his deep and institutional knowledge surrounding transactions and the legal needs of privately owned businesses.
Throughout his legal career, Bev has built a practice – and many, many relationships across Central Virginia — by offering up a practical approach to solving problems and a desire to help his clients accomplish their goals. These days, he works closely with real estate developers, software firms, and manufacturing and distribution companies. Resourceful and efficient, his reputation has led peer attorneys to call on him to serve as expert witness in corporate and business litigation matters in Virginia’s state and federal courts.
A retired Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy Reserve, Bev joined the firm in early 2018, ceding his role as a founding member of DurretteCrump. As the 1968 graduate of the University of Virginia School of Law told local media when he joined our firm: “I don’t plan on retiring any time soon.”
Business Transactions, Corporate and Real Estate
- Assisting clients in a range of business needs, such as entity formation, capital structuring, financing, mergers and acquisitions, succession planning, business divorces and general business transactions
- Representation of commercial real estate owners, developers, and lenders on real estate matters, including the development and financing of industrial, commercial, and residential real estate projects.
- Representation of business entities and their owners in business acquisitions and sales transactions
- Advising owners on business structure issues and succession planning
- Estate planning for business owners, managers, and professionals
- Formation, development, financing and sale of software sales and consulting companies to strategic buyers and private equity firms.
- Sale of 5 million-square-foot warehouse portfolio to a NYSE-traded REIT
- Formation, development, and sale of regional subcontractor to private equity fund with continuing representation in operational matters
- Purchase of land, and development, financing, construction and sale of hospitality properties
- Development of out-of-state retail showrooms for high-end luxury furniture manufacturer
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite,” Business Law (2004 – 2006, 2008 – 2017), Real Estate/Land Use (2007), Corporate Counsel (2018 – 2019)
- Selected to Super Lawyers Virginia List, Business Law and Commercial Real Estate category (2006 -2020), Top 100 in the state
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Corporate Law (2012 – 2020)
- University of Virginia School of Law, L.L.B., 1968
- New York University, L.L.B. (Taxation), 1971
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1963
- United States Navy, 1963-1965 (Lt. USNR Ret.)
- Virginia State Bar
- Bar Association of the City of Richmond
- Founding Member of the Business Law Section
- Chairman 2007
- Executive Committee Member 2007 – 2013
- Member, Real Estate Section