For our clients, business is personal. We advise Virginia’s small, closely-held and middle-market businesses on the best way to legally establish their company. Identifying the proper business structure helps owners and partners protect their assets, lessen their risk, and create the most tax-efficient foundation possible to succeed.
While all business entities need legal formation, the process of forming a legal structure is of particular importance for businesses with more than one owner. Our work with business entities clarifies roles and responsibilities, distribution of profits, and addresses a plan for the unexpected – like disability, disagreements, or death. We also advise on the tax implications of each business entity, and, as your business evolves, how to ensure your tax burden remains efficient.
Our Business Entity Formations, Sales and Mergers practice includes:
- Creation of Limited Liability Companies (LLC), Limited Partnerships, C-corporations, S-corporations, and other business structures
- Drafting and reviewing all necessary documentation, plus filing of formation documents
- Formation of nonprofit organizations, including 501(c)(3) designations
- Business succession planning and personal estate planning for business owners
- Specialized representation and transactional guidance for licensed professionals
- Advising, guidance, and referrals on additional services, such as tax planning and insurance
Understanding Operating Agreements vs. Bylaws