Personal service. Integrity. Doing the right thing — and getting the law right. These core tenets make up the backbone on which our Commercial Real Estate and Leasing practice stands. We advise individual developers, property owners, families, and institutions in the acquisition and development of property for a multitude of uses, from “birth to death” of our clients’ ownership of real estate.
We also know where to draw the line, and not over-involve ourselves. Instead, we respect the wisdom of our clients, then offer honest advice and insight to do what is necessary and right to get the deal done, get the lease signed, and protect those who place their trust in us.
We advise our commercial real estate clients on finding creative, practical approaches to helping them structure and close transactions. First we listen and learn about the deal, then we draft documents to ensure favorable terms and legal protection for our client. Our team has successfully led our clients in their acquisition, development, financing, and operation of a variety of commercial projects, such as shopping centers, factories, large office buildings, and multi-family residential housing.
We help our landlord clients appropriately rent commercial property to tenants. We draft and review lease agreements, and we manage a multitude of concerns and conflicts with tenants — including tenant bankruptcy, as commercial property owners have specific rights (most important – that most commercial tenants in bankruptcy must continue paying rent). As we tell our landlord clients: We are professional worriers, so that you don’t have to be.
We also serve larger commercial tenants, as their rent is often the second-biggest expense they will have next to payroll. We review lease and negotiate agreements prior to signing to ensure the tenant is protected over the course of the lease term.
We work alongside many Virginia families who own large amounts of property and therefore have a close personal connection to their land and buildings — not to mention, have their own money on the line. We honor these personal connections that are unique to family-owned real estate. We have built long-term relationships with these clients, who look to our team as advisers and friends. They seek our counsel for both legal and non-legal questions to help guide their decisions.
We find great reward in the success of our clients, knowing that we are building a long-term relationship to help them and, in the case of family clients, future generations to come.
Our Commercial Real Estate and Leasing practice includes:
- Reviewing and creating all necessary real estate transactional and leasing agreements and documentation
- Guiding and assisting with all aspects of entity selection and creation for the necessary entity to hold or develop real estate, such as formation of joint ventures, corporations, general and limited partnerships, and limited liability partnerships and companies
- Managing foreclosures and workouts
- Providing advice and assistance on land use issues that arise, such as rezoning, special use permitting, special exceptions, zoning variances, and obtaining the necessary permits and approvals for real estate development
- Engaging in appeals of excessive real estate tax assessments
- Representing landowners and public entities in eminent domain proceedings
- Advising clients on issues pertaining to construction, including lending and litigation
- Assisting clients with troubled, partially completed projects and those that have suffered extensive damage
- Helping foreign investors purchase, develop, operate, and sell U.S. real estate, including all necessary requirements imposed on non-citizens