Financial, reputational, or physical harm. Negligence. Disputes. Breach of contract. Board conflicts or C-suite turmoil. All businesses face a level of risk in their daily dealings, both in private and in public, and some will face litigation due to it. When there’s a problem, ThompsonMcMullan has a team of proven and successful litigators who can assist. We represent our clients in disputes of all forms, in all industries, with companies of all sizes. Over the decades, and thanks to our diverse blend of attorneys with varied interests, expertise, and skillsets, we have built a unique perspective and approach in the complex litigation matters we handle, with the goal of protecting our clients’ interests, managing risk, and ending disputes as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Litigation is stressful for businesses and their leadership. Dealing with a lawsuit is a time-consuming process filled with unknowns and, potentially, a risk of exposure that can adversely impact a business. We help clients work through the stress of litigation to identify specific business and legal goals, then find ways of achieving them. We regularly represent companies in various types of litigation disputes, including contract disputes, business torts, shareholder disputes, corporate governance disputes, administrative matters or investigations, class action defense, and appellate matters. We also work with company boards, officers, and directors to manage and resolve potential conflicts before litigation arises.
Our litigation attorneys have litigated matters in federal and state courts across Virginia and beyond. Our litigation attorneys have the knowledge, skill, and experience necessary to help our clients pursue an advantageous resolution in any venue.
- Defended a consumer financial services institution in a multi-million-dollar bankruptcy adversary proceeding alleging breach of a post-petition services contract.
- Represented a biomarker discovery company in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding alleging breach of a pre-petition license agreement concerning the client’s intellectual property related to a prediabetes diagnostic test.
- Represented a former general counsel in a complex legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit filed by the attorney’s former employer.
- Represented a private aviation company in a multi-million-dollar coverage dispute regarding foreign object damage to a jet engine covered by an aviation broad coverage insurance policy.
- Defended a limited partnership in a suit seeking monetary damages and appointment of a receiver for a Marriott hotel property, including the appointment of a third-party receiver and the conveyance of the hotel property to new ownership by a deed in lieu of foreclosure agreement.
- Successfully defended local startup through trial and on appeal involving allegations of breach of contract, conspiracy, tortious interference with a business expectancy and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented international furniture company in a construction dispute with contractors involving a multi-million dollar renovation to a warehouse, workshop and showroom.