Whether making a real estate-backed or a U.S. Small Business Administration-guaranteed loan, the lending process can be fraught with risk and regulation. Tripping up on the SBA’s voluminous rules can sacrifice the lender’s guarantee, while real estate-backed loans must be properly secured with adequate and detailed title work. Our attorneys stay one step ahead of evolving regulations, understand the pitfalls of negotiating real estate transactions, and are well-versed in SBA rules to ensure our clients make secure, compliant deals.
Protect the lender and close the loan — and do it all as quickly as possible, with all the requirements in place. These are our top goals in our lending work for financial institutions, including traditional and community banks, state and federal credit unions, and nonprofit lending organizations. With a practical approach, we uncover risks and stop them from creating far larger problems in the future. Our attorneys are committed to finding the best, fastest, and least expensive way to fix issues, using a common-sense approach that ends in a satisfactory result for everyone involved.
Our practice includes structuring credit and negotiating and drafting credit documents for commercial loans. We maintain current and prepared standard forms for commercial lenders, yet tailor our services to each lender client. From the first phone call to the final signature, we create every document required to ensure every loan that crosses our desk is compliant. Our work is centered in Virginia and Maryland, though we often counsel clients involved in multi-state transactions. In addition, we handle workout agreements of troubled debt, liquidation of collateral, and represent creditors in bankruptcy proceedings.
Our Commercial Lending, Banking, and Financial Services practice include:
- Representing lenders in U.S. Small Business Administration loans, including SBA 504 and 7(a) loans
- Advising on structuring transactions and regulatory compliance
- Representing buyers and sellers in commercial real estate transactions
- Representing lenders and borrowers in both secured and unsecured commercial lending
- Review of title work and purchase agreements, as well as lien review on real and personal property
- Assisting in issues that arise in real estate transactions, including corrective title work, negotiating easements, boundary line adjustments, and handling encroachments
- Reviewing the borrowers’ corporate documents to ensure SBA compliance