For over 20 years, Bob has represented a wide range of clients including businesses, public officials, cities and counties, university officers and private individuals.
Primarily a trial lawyer, Bob spends most of his time on trial and appellate litigation in federal and state courts, business formation and acquisitions, employment law (including Title VII, ADA, ADEA and related statutes), real estate, civil rights and constitutional law claims under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, commercial litigation and insurance defense. He has written extensively on matters affecting Virginia constitutional officers.
In February 2014, Bob was appointed special counsel to the Opportunity Educational Institution by Governor Terry McAuliffe.
Civil Litigation, Bankruptcy, and Administrative Law
- Represented the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State Board of Elections in election litigation from 2008-2011; he negotiated a consent decree with the Department of Justice that enhanced the ability of military and overseas voters to have their ballots counted in federal elections.
- Represented the Virginia State Corporation Commission in protracted litigation challenging the constitutionality of the Virginia Viatical Settlements Act, a statute which protects the terminally ill from predatory insurance practices. The Virginia Act was upheld.
- AV Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite”, Appellate Law category, 2010 – 2015
- Selected to the Super Lawyers Virginia List, 2008 – 2012, 2014 -2015, General Litigation category
- Recipient of the Kappa Tau Alpha Outstanding Service Award in recognition of his twelve years of teaching Mass Communications Law and Ethics at Virginia Commonwealth University
- University of Louisville School of Law, J.D., Associate Editor of the Law Review
- Brooklyn College
- All Virginia Courts including the Supreme Court of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar
- Served two terms as the President of the Board of Directors of SupportOne, Inc.
- Founding director of the Central Virginia Foodbank, Inc., serving two terms as President
- Appointed Visiting Professor in the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Mass Communications, 2004
- Virginia Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course Faculty