A trusted go-to for commercial, real estate, and banking law
Hired out of law school as in-house counsel for a bank holding company, Wilson Trice has since built a career-long expertise in commercial, real estate, and banking law. Prior to joining the firm in 2003, he served as a senior in-house lawyer with a global financial institution, responsible for legal affairs ranging from consumer finance regulation to investment banking, and as partner in the financial institutions practice of a multi-national law firm, where his specialty was commercial finance.
These days, Wilson is the trusted go-to for commercial and real estate lenders and regulated financial institutions both in central Virginia and organizations outside of the Commonwealth doing business here. With an eye toward efficiency and cost-effectiveness, he prepares legally enforceable documents that clearly establish roles in business transactions and guides his clients on the best path forward to achieve their goals.
With a masterful understanding of his subject matter, he brings more than four decades of experience representing organizations in commercial lending and leasing transactions and in real estate acquisition, construction, and development loans. He also advises clients on troubled loan workouts, where he brings to bear his expertise in lender-liability law and creditor’s rights to assist in structuring optimal solutions for lenders and borrowers. He has authored the Virginia chapters of American Bar Association publications Commercial Lending Lawand The Law of Guaranties.
Wilson is active in the Richmond community, serving on the boards of and participating in numerous legal, civic, and charitable causes.
Business Transactions, Corporate and Real Estate
- Drafting legal documents for syndicated bank loans, leases, letters of credit, and factoring of accounts receivable.
- Local counsel representation of sponsors of multi-billion-dollar private-public transportation projects in Virginia, from due diligence to commercial and financial closing.
- Represented an agent bank in documentation, negotiation and administration of a syndicated $120 million multi-currency revolving credit facility to an international management consulting and technology company.
- Represented a bank in a $50 million cross-border (Canada) asset-based credit facility to a supplier of wood flooring and related construction materials.
- Represented institutional lenders in several multimillion-dollar real estate acquisition and development loans for residential subdivisions and workouts of troubled loans.
- Represented corporate lessee in $16 million leveraged lease of rail cars.
- Represented heavy industry manufacturers as borrowers in a $32.5 million asset-based lending facility.
- AV Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected to Super Lawyers Virginia list, Business and Corporate Law category, 2014, 2015
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite,” Business Law category (2011 – 2018)
- Author, Consumer Law Chapter, The Virginia Lawyer: A Deskbook for Practitioners, Sixth Edition, published by Virginia CLE
- Author, Virginia Commercial Lending Law, ABA Commercial Lending Law
- Author, Virginia State Law of Guaranties, ABA Law of Guaranties
- Co-author, Commercial Loan Documentation, Real Estate Transactions in Virginia, published by Virginia CLE
- Co-author of the Commercial Loan Documentation Chapter of Virginia CLE’s two volume treatise, “Real Estate Transactions In Virginia,” 2020 Edition
J.D., University of Richmond School of Law, 1976
– Member, Law Review
– Chairman of the Honor Court
– Omicron Delta Kappa
B.A., University of Virginia, 1972
- All Virginia Courts including the Supreme Court of Virginia
- Virginia Bar Association, past Chairman, Corporate Counsel Section
- Member of the UCC Committee and the Commercial Financial Services Committee of the American Bar Association
- Served as a member of the Richmond Human Relations Commission and is a graduate of Leadership Metro Richmond
- Counsel to St. James’s Episcopal Church, a former senior warden and member of the Board of its Endowment Fund
- Former board member, Kiwanis Club of Richmond
- Former board member, The Boys and Girls Club of Metropolitan Richmond
- The Westminster-Canterbury Foundation, Former Vice Chair, Chair of the Board of Trustees 2014-2016