Patience, practicality, and calmness under pressure
When Virginia small businesses seek loans in order to grow, they often wind up receiving capital guaranteed by the U.S. Small Business Administration. Much of Sarah Warner’s practice is representing lenders that make these SBA-backed loans. She assists financial institutions both inside Virginia and outside of the Commonwealth doing business here in navigating the SBA’s voluminous loan requirements.
In addition, Sarah also represents individuals and institutions buying commercial and residential real estate throughout Virginia and North Carolina, both states where she is licensed to practice. “I enjoy more collaborative legal work versus an adversarial process that you experience in litigation,” Sarah says. “Whether a lender, individual, or group, I enjoy working with the client to explore their options and make the best possible deal.”
Practical, knowledgeable, and patient (SBA loans and real estate transactions tend to be a lot of “hurry up and wait”), Sarah enjoys working with clients and borrowers to make the lending process as smooth and easy as possible. She is a SBA 504-designated counsel and Consumer Real Estate Settlement Protection Act (CRESPA)-certified attorney.
Prior to law school, Sarah spent four years at the American Bar Association’s Central and East European Law Initiative, focusing on legal development programs in Albania, Bosnia, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia. During that time, she helped create a law school-exchange program between U.S. and Balkan law schools.
Sarah lives in Richmond with her husband and two daughters. An avid dog lover, you can sometimes find her rescue dog, Aida, providing legal support from the floor of Sarah’s office. You can also find Sarah running the roads and riverside trails of RVA.
Business Transactions, Corporate and Real Estate
- Drafting legal documents related to guaranteed SBA 7A and 504 loans
- Negotiating terms of commercial and residential real estate agreements, reviewing title work and finalizing the transactions
- Assisting with issues that arise in real estate transactions, including negotiating conservation easements, boundary line adjustments, and encroachments
- Advising corporate clients on formation, contract negotiations, lease negotiations, share and asset purchases, and dissolution
- Virginia Business Magazine’s “Legal Elite,” Real Estate/Land Use category (2014 – 2019)
- Selected to the Super Lawyer’s “Rising Stars” Virginia List, Business and Corporate category (2015)
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 2005
- Auburn University, B.A., Political Science, 1997
- All Virginia Courts including the Supreme Court of Virginia
- All North Carolina Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Virginia State Bar
- Member, National Association for Government Guaranteed Lenders (NAGGL)
- Member, National Association of Development Companies (NADCO)
- Spinal Cord Injury Association (SCIAVA)
- Board of Directors
- 2009 SCIAVA Community Service Partner of the Year award recipient
- Team in Training/Leukemia and Lymphoma Society – Marathon Coach 2007 – 2010